Warm Kale Salad with Ginger Miso Dressing
Did you have a good Halloween? I had kind of a weird one. As you all know, I threw a party, and then the time came to go for it and I suddenly felt anti-social. COOL. This happens to me sometimes, where I’m just not super stoked to hang with people (I’m an extroverted seeming introvert, a weird creature that doesn’t know what the fuck she wants socially.) BUT. All ended well. By 11PM I was dancing to Ke$ha, drinking bubbly water, and in short shorts. By midnight I was asleep. Could have been way worse.
Yesterday, I sprained my ankle.
I did it just walking, it’s an ankle that has been sprained twice before that is weak, and I’d be lying if I said that didn’t depress the crap out of me. As I mentioned, I have been doing a 16 week coaching program with Christy Morgan and the results have been phenomenal. I am five weeks in and I am seeing muscles I didn’t know existed start to pop, eating so awesomely it’s ridiculous, and feeling good, energized, strong, and healthy. I hate to think that this could derail my process of she-hulking out, but shit. What can you do? I’ve been down this road before, and I know the only really answer is acceptance.
So, that’s the run down on my brain, here’s the run down on my food:
I have challenged myself to eat a large and vibrant meal salad every single day. It’s getting a bit colder- even in Oakland- and I have had to adjust my definition of “salad” to keep up with my goals. In steps the warm salad.
Would you LOOK at that beauty? I ate this thing five days in a row after I made the recipe, and if I could keep an ever-flowing stock of the ingredients I would eat it every single day. It’s very damn near completely unprocessed, satisfying, has an awesome varied texture, an incredible dressing, and can you say PROTEIN? This weight lifting babe isn’t even TRYING to mess around with a meal without a deep plant based source of the muscle building stuff.
Here’s the recipe:
|Warm Winter Salad|| |
- ½ cup cooked short grain brown rice
- 1.5 cups steamed cauliflower
- 2 cups lacinato kale, stemmed and chopped
- 2-4 tablespoons miso ginger dressing (recipe below)
- ⅓ cup shredded carrots
- ¼ cup sauerkraut (I used Bubbie's brand)
- ¾ cup cooked beluga lentils
- ¼ cup pinto beans
- 6 tablespoons chickpea miso
- 6 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 inch fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon gluten-free tamari
- Prepare short grain brown rice according to instructions. Set aside what you don't use for stir-fries, soups, stews, or just munching on.
- Cut cauliflower into small florets and steam to desired texture. I steamed mine for 12 minutes.
- Stem and chop kale
- Make dressing by placing all ingredients in a blender and whizzing until smooth. Add water to get desired consistency.
- Massage kale with desired amount of dressing. Really work it, so it starts to wilt!
- Put all ingredients in a bowl and mix together
- You can leave the salad mostly raw, or if a bit more warmth is desired, put the whole mix into a dry skillet with just a touch of water (1 tablespoon?)
- cover and steam until just warm
- I ate this whole salad by myself, topped with a drizzle of tahini and nutritional yeast. You can split it into two, but if it is a whole meal, eat the whole damn thing.