I made this smoothie on a bright and sunny day that happened to be so cold that I was wearing pants, thick socks, a long sleeved shirt, a hoodie, a jacket, and a winter hat indoors. I threw all of the bright and delicious ingredients into my blender while imagining some place far warmer than where I was, parked my ass in front of a space heater, and had a mini mental tropical vacation.
The flavors were that good. Like, transcendent.
This recipe is a perfect one for grabbing immune boosting vitamins and minerals while remaining hydrated in the winter. It is full of probiotics, antioxidants, potassium, and Vitamin C. Plus, it tastes delicious.
|Citrus Sunrise|| |
- 8-16 oz Tangerine KeVita, depending on how thin you like your smoothie
- 1 small grapefruit, peeled
- ½ banana
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds.
- 2 ice cubes
- Put one tablespoon of chia seeds in your KeVita, and let sit for 15 minutes. You may have to intermittently stir your chia so that it doesn't just sit on the top of the glass
- Peel and chop your fruit
- Throw all ingredients into a high speed blender, and whiz until smooth
It’s Hallo-week and boy am I PUMPED. My Dudley costume is nearly done, and all week people have been coming up to me to tell me which Wes Anderson character they will be dressing as at my party. I seriously have my fingers crossed for a huge team Zissou, or perhaps a zombie Margo Tannenbaum.
I just started my week off right with this incredibly awesome smoothie. It’s super creamy, refreshing, and just a little bit fizzy, due to the carbonation in the KeVita. I’ve been experimenting with maca lately, in hopes of gaining a bit more energy, focus, mood balance, and improved hormonal health. I haven’t been using it long enough to know the long term effects yet, but I have to say, every time I put just a bit in a smoothie my brain is on super-smiley-high-alert.
Maca + KeVita’s probiotics= my guts and my brain are feelin’ it. Life is good.
|Mocktail Monday #3: Creamy Tropical Fizz|| |
- 1 bottle mango coconut flavor KeVita
- 3 leaves kale
- 1 large red grapefruit
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 medium banana
- 1 medium avocado
- 1 teaspoon maca (I used Vega brand)
- Add KeVita to blender, then add the kale (stem if you do not have a high speed blender).
- Peel and chop grapefruit, avocado, and banana. Juice the lime directly into the blender.
- Add Maca, and whiz until very creamy.
I do. I remember drinking them on hot summer days when I lived in Philadelphia and watching my entire mouth turn that telltale red or blue. I remember getting the biggest one possible when it seemed too ridiculously humid to eat and calling it a meal as the brain freeze ascended. I loved slurpees, but- as I am not actually a huge sweet person- I am prettttttty sure it had more to do with the cold and the slushiness than the drink itself. Now that I am an adult who gives a shit about what goes into my body, I wouldn’t drink a Slurpee, which up until now was kind of a tremendous drag, because damn. It gets hot everywhere sometimes. THIS BABE DEMANDS REFRESHMENT.
So, this is my version of a sweet and slushy treat. It is simple, has ZERO added sugar, tastes AWESOME, and will totally refresh you without turning any part of your body artificial red or blue. I don’t really drink alcohol, but I’m going to be honest- I have it on good authority that you could throw a shot of rum in there, and it’d be bangin’. (Okay, I googled “what kind of alcohol is in a daiquiri?”- That’s good authority right?)
|Blueberry Cherry Strawberry Slushie|| |
- 1 bottle blueberry cherry KeVita
- 4 strawberries
- 4 blackberries
- 1-3 cups ice (depending on how icy you like it)
- Pour KeVita slowly into a high speed blender, being careful not to make it over-fizz
- Add strawberries, blackberries, and ice into a high speed blender and whiz on high until the drink has a slushy look. Add ice one cup at a time, to get the right ratios for your tastes!
Now I’m going to take an opportunity to be that guy again:
Do you wish you were eating a little more simply, or a little more healthfully? Do you want to make dietary changes to get animal products, gluten, refined sugar, and processed foods out of your diet, even if just for two weeks? Do you want more energy from cleaner-burning foods? Do you like a little extra accountability?
You should totally join my Reset and Restore program. It’s a serious deal, starts November 2nd, and I am super excited about it. Sign up for goodness sakes!