Fresh herb, quinoa, and besan flatbread
This recipe was inspired by the Quinoa Oat Flatbread recipe on The Edible Perspective . My version adds fresh herbs, sautee’d onion and replaces the oats with besan (chickpea flour), thus making it unequivocally gluten free. The result is light and crispy, a perfect pair for soups and salads.
|Fresh herb, quinoa, and besan flatbread|| |
- ½ red onion
- ½ cup mint leaves
- ½ cup cilantro
- 2 Tablespoon coconut oil, divided
- ¾ cup besan
- ¾ cup quinoa flour
- 1 cup water
- 1.5 Tablespoons ground flax seeds
- ½ teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon italian seasonings
- black pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 375 F
- Add ½ T coconut oil to a 9” round cast iron skillet and once hot, add in the onion and herbs. Sautee on low for 10-15 minutes, until everything is crispy and carmelized.
- Mix all dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Pour in the water, and 1 T of melted coconut oil.
- Stir until just combined
- Add another ½ T of coconut oil to the hot pan and when it melts, add in the dry ingredients.
- Take the pan off the burner, mix batter into the pan until smooth and spreads to the edges. Shake lightly to even out.
- Bake for for 30 minutes until the bread is cracked on top, pulled away from the sides, and edges are golden brown.
- Let cool to fully firm up, then remove from the pan + slice.