Gingered pecan milk
I made this milk for myself during a stretch of particularly terrible IBS symptoms. My stomach was extremely bloated and distended, I had incessant gas, I was starting to feel less and less like going out with friends, because I felt basically terrible. Ahhhh, Irritable Bowel Syndrome. When you are bad, you truly know how to fuck up a life.
Anyway. This recipe is super simple, and very soothing. Pecans are a low FODMAP nut, which might be helpful for some, and the ginger and other spices are deeply soothing. I drank big cups of this on the regular, and within a few days, the pain in my gut had chilled. Now at the first sign of discomfort I make this milk, and 9 times out of 10, it helps.
|Gingered pecan milk|| |
- 1 cup pecans, soaked overnight (the longer you soak, the creamier the nutmilk. Just don't go over 24 hours, or it starts to get weird)
- 4 cups water
- 1 date, pitted
- 2-4 Tablespoons grated ginger. I would say the more, the better.
- 1 Teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ Teaspoon cardamom
- 1 pinch of sea salt
- 1 pinch of dried turmeric
- Place all ingredients in a high speed blender, and whiz on high until creamy
- Strain through a nut bag for a smooth milk (recommended for those with big time gut pain), or leave chunky for a more milk-shakey experience.